Thursday, December 13, 2018

2018 Year in Review

This has been a pretty crappy year for investing in Canadian stocks. I have two duds in my portfolio right now that will be sold off before the end of the year. They are BCE and Emera, both of which I purchased near 18-month highs right before the interest hikes began. My philosophy has changed since I bought these -- I am no longer investing in mature, heavily indebted companies except railroads.

I got lucky on timing for a few different stocks. I bought and sold BMO, CM and QTRH for small gains right before the floor fell out of all three. I sold BMO and CM because there is better value outside of the Big 6, and sold QTRH because I thought I was going to switch brokers, but changed my mind. It's dropped 40 cents since I sold it and looks better than ever. I will get back into QTRH in 2019 unless the Apple case is worked out before I get around to it.

Rounding out my Canadian portfolio is CNR with a covered CNR call that is going to expire worthless, and Tag Oil (TAO). Tag is a $30-million New Zealand oil company that sold substantially all of its assets for $40 million. I will hang onto the shares until the sale goes through, or fails. 

Despite a mediocre year and some mistakes, I beat the index by 13 percent. It's worth noting that my choices lagged until mid-year though. 




4 comments:

  1. Nice job on beating the index. I have had a lot of cash sitting on the sidelines for most of the year. I recently bought IPL CM CWB & NFI.My biggest loser of the year was MAXR. Still holding cash and the RRSP is on ignore for another 15years or so. Looking forward to your portfolio posts in 19 if that is still the plan. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking at CWB too - one of the better banks right now IMO. I will indeed be posting picks in 2019. Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are 2 proven scenarios for Canadian bank stocks. 1 is to buy any of the big 5 when yeilds are 5% or higher. The second is to buy the worst performing bank from the previous year and hold for one year. The assumption being it will revert to the mean. This is similar to dogs of the Dow/TSX which did not work out too well in 2018.

    While CWB is not a Big 5 I feel it is currently 30% or more undervalued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could do worse than invest in CWB right now. I think Alberta's issues are still going to take a while to sort out though.

    ReplyDelete